Bromley Bowling Club was formed on April 18th
1888. This was fifteen years before the English Bowling Association
was formed. Edward Packe became the Club’s first President. Thirty
three years later, the club elected its first Captain.
Dr. W.G. Grace the famous cricketer, who lived
in this area often played on the green in Plaistow Lane.
The club was a founder member of the Kent Bowling
Association, The English Bowling Association, and The London and
Southern Counties Bowling Association.
In 1892 the committee decided that the green
must not be used for ice skating as it would have been against
the conditions of the lease of the club.
In 1903 a party of visiting Australians and
New Zealand played two friendly matches against Bromley. The Australians
returned for a rematch in 1912.
In 1921 R.G. (Bob) Colquhoun, the club’s most
successful player joined. Bromley B.C; won the club single title
a record seven times, was national champion, and won the British
Empire Games Singles Championship in Canada in 1930.
In 1946 Harold Macmillan (M.P. for Bromley
from 1945 to 1964 and Prime Minister from 1957 to 1963) joined
In 1992 The Ladies' Section was formed.
On Friday 27th April 2012
disabled toilet facilities were opened, these were built with a
grant from the City of London's City Bridge Trust.
On Sunday 25th August 2013
BBC won the last ever Bowls England match to be held at Worthing to
become National Champions.
2014 Four Ladies from the Club Brenda Burles, Cathie Cook, Jackie
Stead and Rita Scott-Douglas represented England in The British
Isles Championships when they played Wales in St. Creaux, Jersey.
2014 Four Men from the Club ,Eddie Hughes, Jim Keable, Ron Riley,
and Bernie Todd, represented England in The British Isles
Championships when they played Wales at Royal Leamington Spa.
September 1st 2018 Tom Outram-Haskins won the Gold Badge in the
London and Southern Counties competition held at Bounds Green.